TA DA!!! It is finished!
Of course I could futz with it forever and just mess the whole thing up trying for perfect, but there is always that point where you better stop or else.
I’m pleased with the way it turned out.
Go back to here and here to see where it all started if you haven’t been following this process. We delivered it yesterday to the store that is coordinating the event. I will get photos of it where it will be displayed until the auction and hopefully at the auction to let you know how it all turned out. There are prizes for the People’s Choice and the chair that gets the highest bid.
The final part of the process was the waxing. This was my biggest concern from the beginning. I had never used wax for chalk paint and after I used permanent marker for the outlines I began to worry about the effect the wax might have on the marker. A permanent marker should be PERMANENT right? I have not always found that to be the case though.
And I had reason to be concerned. As I was applying the wax I noticed some smearing occurring so I immediately stopped rubbing the wax in and began dabbing it instead to work it into the groves and texture of the fabric.
I thought that was the worst of it UNTIL the next morning when I found this going on in some places!! His face was NOT supposed to look like that.
I had used two different types of markers. One bled, one did not. The problem was and still is that I don’t know which one bled. So, if you try this out please do a test first with your markers and wax.
So, I spent another two and a half hours doing touch up on the chair! I have yet to do a major project that does not have some crisis moment involved.
I then left the chair for two days to see if any more bleeding would occur. I did not notice anything major when it left here yesterday, but I will be checking on it before the auction to see if I need to pack up my touch up paint and do a little work on it before September 26th. It has been like a child leaving home that you aren’t 100% sure is ready to be on it’s own.
Overall though I had a great time with this project and probably will try painting another chair. I will test the markers and wax before a major time investment if I use them again. The wax did soften the feel of the painted fabric to a more leather-like consistency. It was comfortable to sit in and hopefully the wax adds some protection against stains.
I will post the results of the auction after September 26th and let you know how it all turns out.